Monday, September 17, 2012

With the twins first birthday coming up I (mama) have been reflecting on this past year... a lot.  Last year at this time, I didn't leave the house, except to go to doctor appointments.  I can't believe I didn't know these little boys a year ago.  I could feel them moving, and I was getting a sense of their personalities, but they were here, inside of me and I didn't know them.  I can't imagine what my life was before I knew these little boys.  This past year has been quite a roller coaster for our little family.  Lots of ups and some really low downs, but in the end I am so thankful for what we have now.  One year ago from this day, I was working 40 hours a week at American Express (on maternity leave already), we lived in a townhouse in Sandy, we had zero kids and a dog.  Now I have changed jobs and work between 12 and 16 hours per week, we have two kids, a dog, Sam got a raise (of about $2), and we own our home.  It's crazy to think where we started.

This year has also been the hardest and most trying of my life, but the best year I could ever have imagined at the same time.

With a two week NICU stay, not knowing what was wrong with our son and what effects it may have on his life, choosing between two babies to be with the other one, in home oxygen for two weeks (with a monitor that drove us crazy!), countless visits to the pediatrician, neurologist visits, cardiology visit, a visit to a urologist at Primary Children's Medical Center, and monthly therapy visits, another hospital stay for two nights, in home oxygen for one week, and a trip to the respiratory clinic to have the snot sucked from a sick babies nose...

We have two wonderfully happy and healthy little boys.  We have seen the smiles they bring to the faces of every one they pass.  We have made a lot of new friends in stores and doctor offices just because everyone is so intrigued by twins and ours are especially cute and love to talk to everyone.  We have purchased our own home, so these wonderfully happy, smiley boys will have a place to grow up and call home.

Seeing just one smile on either of their faces and I completely forget all the trying experiences we've had this year, and the few times I don't forget, I smile and think it is all worth it.  The love and happiness these boys bring into our lives is irreplaceable.

You never know just how strong you are until you have a reason to be.  We have learned a lot this last year and have a lot of people who made a huge impact on our little family, probably without knowing it at all.  We have a lot of friends who have simply been supportive and listened to us when we needed to vent and tell our story, lots of people who we have turned to for support, strength, love, and just to share in our tears, people who we have turned to for answers when we didn't understand or trust what was being told to us from someone else.  If you are reading this blog, you have had some sort of impact on our lives and we thank you.

As we close out this adventurous, roller coaster year, it's hard not to reflect on where it all started and how trying  it has been but how completely blessed we are.  I love my family, my boys are my whole life, and I wouldn't change one thing about what we have today.  There are a few things that I wish had played out a little differently, but in the end, everyone is doing great and there should be no long term effects from any of the hard spots.

We are truly blessed and I can't imagine what we ever did so right that brought these two wonderful miracles into our home.  Whatever it as, I hope I continue doing it and maybe in another year or two we can have add two more miracles into our home (at one time of course, haha) in the form of little girls.  Only time will tell.

Thank you for loving and supporting us this last year.  We really do love you all.


No comments:

Post a Comment